In the early 1700s Mercer Street became Spicer Street, which was renamed Spiceal Street by the end of the century. The re-naming was due to the growing grocery and meat trade on the street which had begun to take over from the cloth trade. The Dog Inn was located in Spiceal Street in the late 1700s.
In 1783 William Hutton described it:
From the eminence upon which the High-street stands, proceeds a steep, and regular descent into Moor-street, Digbeth, down Spiceal-street… This descent is broken only by the church-yard.
By the 1950’s the old Bull Ring site offered shoppers everything from the Army & Navy store to the largest Woolworths of its time. During the 1960’s the market site became one of the country’s most celebrated examples of revolutionary urban planning with the dramatic development of the old Bull Ring, which at the time was one of the world’s largest enclosed shopping centres outside America, and at the forefront of shopping centre design. The three symbols of the era were the circular Rotunda building, the swathe of ring roads encircling the old market centre site, and at its heart the Bull Ring Shopping Centre with some 32,500 m2 of supermarkets, shops and markets which opened in May 1964.